Paris, Texas – The Lamar County Relay for Life event is set for overnight tonight. Relay for Life is the signature event for the American Cancer Society, and last year's Relay in Lamar County earned over $55,000 for the fight against cancer. This year's goal is $75,000.
Opening ceremonies begin at 6pm at R.L. Maddox Stadium in Paris and will last until 6am Saturday morning. Everyone is encouraged to attend some part of the Relay and help in the fight against cancer.
Commerce – Commerce Elementary School and A.C. Williams Elementary will move from acceptable to recognized campuses in their state accountability ratings. The move is not official, but CISD officials believe the new rating is likely based on results of the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills test. Last year, only the science portion of the TAKS test kept the campuses from the recognized level. This year, 89% of 5th graders passed that portion as compared to a statewide average of 75%.
Commerce – Rehearsals have begun for "Smoke on the Mountain", the summer musical at A&M-Commerce. The comedy revolves around a Saturday night gospel sing at a rural church in 1938. The show will run Thursday through Sunday the first two weeks in July with a cast made up of area actors and musicians. Call the University Box Office at 903.886.5900 for more information.
Hunt County – A burn ban is back in effect for Hunt County. A disaster declaration was issued yesterday by Hunt County Judge Joe Bobbitt implementing an immediate prohibition on burning and the use of rocket-style fireworks. Barbecue grills and cookers are allowed but most other types of outdoor burning are prohibited in all unincorporated areas of the county.
Commerce – A man accused of carjacking in Commerce is being held in lieu of $50,000 bond for aggravated robbery. 43 year old Danny Coleman Roden is alleged to have approached a woman in the Commerce Wal-Mart parking lot Friday, displaying a gun and demanding the woman's vehicle. The woman was able to escape before Roden drove away.
Police say a pellet gun was found in Roden's possession when he was apprehended.
Commerce – The Commerce ISD Board of Trustees reorganized in regular session last night. Debbie Akin remains President of the School Board, with Willie Blow as Vice President and Bob McLeroy as Secretary. The board also adopted a preliminary budget which reflects a tax decrease, according to Director if Finance Billy Myers.
Hunt County – Hunt County officials were looking to benefit from recent rains, but with official rainfall measuring less than one-tenth of one inch, it looks as if a ban on outdoor burning may soon be called. Hunt County Fire Marshall Dorsey Driggers said the issue will be taken before the Hunt County Commissioners next Monday. He also said a ban on bottle rockets and aerial-themed fireworks is likely.
Commerce – The Commerce Chamber of Commerce is sponsoring a conference this week to discuss transportation issues in Northeast Texas. The conference is called Rails, Roads, and Runways and is designed to bring together the transportation interests in Northeast Texas, enhance local transportation, and support economic development. It is aimed at anyone interested in growth for the region.
Commerce – The A&M-Commerce Planetarium is launching a schedule of Wednesday Matinees this week. "Larry Cat in Space" and "Secret of the Cardboard Rocket" are two of the child-friendly shows airing this summer. The matinees begin at 1:30 each Wednesday, with a feature show also playing at 2:30. Tickets are $3 and shows run each Wednesday through August 2nd. Visit www.tamu-commerce.edu for more information.
Commerce – Fire broke out last night, threatening a Commerce apartment complex. A fire was reported at The Corners at Commerce Way apartment complex at 1900 Caddo Street around 8pm last night. Early calls indicated the entire complex was involved in the fire, but emergency crews found the fire limited to unit 201 of Building C.
The fire was quickly put out, though the apartment directly below did suffer some water damage. A young couple lived in the unit but was not home when fire broke out and no injuries were reported.