Big Tex Goes Up in Flames
Since 1952, Big Tex has welcomed greeters to the State Fair of Texas, but today he no longer stands as the icon so many of us have come to know and love.
Around 10:30 Friday morning, witnesses say flames were coming from the neck/jaw region of the 52 foot-tall figure. The flames quickly engulfed Big Tex's hat, and slowly made their way to his feet.
Firefighters arrived on the scene and quickly put out the blaze, leaving nothing but his sleeves and hands intact.
Since 2000, the figure has had movement, initially waving to fair-goers, then beginning to move his head and mouth. Speculation is that wiring shorted out in his mouth causing the blaze, but that is unconfirmed and pending investigation.
But rest assured according to Dallas Mayor, Mike Rawlings's tweet about the incident:
"Dallas is about Big Things and #BigTex was symbolic of that. We will rebuild Big Tex bigger and better for the 21st Century."