Most Active Stories
Sun January 18, 2009
Community Center official saddened by fire
By Scott Harvey
Hogeye Community – Shocked was the word used to describe Friday's fire in Hunt County that destroyed the Hogeye Community Center.
Ruby Miller has been secretary at the Center for the past decade, and says the facility was a convenient asset to the community. The structure had been standing since the early 1960's, according to Miller.
The Hogeye Community Center, east of Celeste, was one of two structures destroyed Friday and one of three fires to occur in the span of an hour that morning. No one was injured. Hunt County Fire Marshall Richard Hill would not confirm if there was any suspicion of foul play, saying only that all three fires are under investigation.
Each year the Hogeye Community Center holds a stew supper, which according to Miller, has in years past sold up to 300 tickets. This year's stew supper was to take place next month. Miller says she'd still like to try and hold the supper, possibly at the Celeste Independent School District, with proceeds from the event to go toward rebuilding a community center.