KETR Local
10:56 am
Wed April 26, 2006

Fire in Greenville

Greenville – Some Greenville citizens are displaced today after a downtown apartment complex fire yesterday morning. According to the Greenville Herald Banner, a fire at Townhouse Apartments on Lee Street yesterday sent about 40 residents from their homes around 11am. One resident said the fire started in her apartment as winds blew her drapes over a lit candle.

Fire damage was limited to the one apartment with smoke and heat damage to two others. But it may be awhile before residents can get back into their apartments. Officials were working yesterday to turn electricity back on in the complex, which needed inspection by a licensed electrician. There is a possibility the city will also require the installation of a sprinkler system before residents can return to their homes.

Owners of the Townhouse Apartments yesterday evening arranged for motel rooms for the residents overnight.