KETR Local
5:33 am
Tue March 31, 2009

Just smoke, <i>no</i> fire at Student Center Tuesday

Commerce – Faculty, staff and students at Texas A&M University-Commerce need not be concerned over an evacuation Tuesday at the Sam Rayburn Student Center.

The Commerce Fire Department was dispatched to the facility at around noon Tuesday in response to an activated fire alarm. However, it was only smoke that filled portions of the 2nd floor hallway, not fire, after grease found its way onto a dinner warmer in the building's kitchen. The smoke had cleared by the time officials arrived, according to Captain Pretre with the Commerce Fire Department.

The search only took crews about ten minutes before everyone was allowed back inside.