Most Active Stories
Sat January 25, 2014
Live blog: Lions vs. West Texas A&M men's basketball
By Mark Haslett
- Get your final stats here. Congratulations Lions on what was really a must-have win at home against West Texas A&M today.
- FINAL: Lions, 93, Buffaloes 84. "And the Lions win!"
- Lions 91, Buffs 84. 8 seconds.
- Lions 91, Buffs 83. 11 seconds to play.
- Lions 90, WT 83. 19 seconds left. Maybe this one won't go to the last buzzer.
- Macauley has a career-high 15 points. 89-83 Lions with 19 seconds left. Carnegie at line.
- Price hits 1-2 at line, 88-83.
- Lions get the ball back when at WT player steps out of bounds! 87-83. 47.7 ticks on the clock.
- Buffs ball, still 87-83 Lions. 1:02 to play!
- Lions 87, WT 83. 1:26.
- Wooten scores from outside and it's 86-81.
- WT's Ferguson hits a trey and it's 84-81, 2:11 to play.
- Great, patient possession by Lions ends with Macauley scoring inside. 84-78, 2:14 left.
- 3:39 left, Lions lead, 82-78.
- 80-78, Lions. Macauley will go to the stripe again.
- Macauley drains two from the line, now it's 80-76, but a Buff is at the line for WT.
- Time out, still 78-76. 3:56. Carnegie 21 pts, Walker 15, Wooten 13, Ehambe 9.
- Buffs make two FTs and now it's 78-76. This one could go to the buzzer.
- Ehambe was left alone along the baseline, makes Buffs pay. 78-74.
- Leading by two, Lions ball. 76-74, 4:27.
- Now both teams lighting it up from three-point range. Lions lead, 76-72, 4:50 left.
- Wooten with the STEAL and Macauley with the tomahawk JAM! 73-69 Lions.
- Carnegie for three! Lions lead 71-66.
- Big possession for Lions, leading 68-66.
- Carnegie with a bucket to put the Lions back up by 4. 68-64, media time out, 7:16, WT's ball.
- WT back to within two for the first time in a while. Lions lead 66-64, 7:53 to play.
- Brown 8 boards, Carnegie 7.
- WT still hanging around. Lions up 66-62, time out with 8:15 remaining.
- Macauley with the dunk on the alley-oop from Price and it's Lions 66, Buffs 58. 8:47.
- And one! Price with the lay-up and draws the foul. Lions lead 64-56, 10:00.
- Time out, still 61-52. 11:44. WT's Ferguson leads all scorers with 18.
- Ehambe goes 1-2 at line, Lions lead 61-52, 12:05.
- Lions lead 60-52, 12:27 left, Buffs with ball.
- Wooten with the steal and the lay-in! Lions up 58-52, 13:09.
- Walker 15 pts, Carnegie 13, Wooten 11, Ehambe and Brown with 6.
- Carnegie for three and the Lions are up 56-47 with 14:44 to play.
- Walker with the jam! 52-45, Lions.
- Lions 46, Buffs 43. 18:00.
- As the prescient Mr. Chitwood predicted, both teams playing a more physical game this half.
- Nice to see all the extra seating behind the baseline and kiddie bounce tent here at the game. And, of course, the best band in the Lone Star Conference...made ever-louder by the acoustics in this old barn. Great basketball environment here in Commerce. Come catch the second half if you're in town!
- Lions have 7 points off turnovers, Buffs have 2. And that, basically, is your difference. Stat sheet is remarkably balanced so far. Each team has 3 turnovers. Lions 1 steal, Buffs 2. Lions 12 points in the paint, Buffs 10.
- Lions led by 9 before WT scored last 5 points of the half.
- Lions 6-10 from three-point range; Buffs 7-12 from beyond the arc.
- Stats over at http://www.sidearmstats.com/tamuc/mbball/, y'all. It's break time.
- Halftime: Lions 44, WT 40.
- Walker's three gives him 15 to lead all scorers.
- Clock's ticking down on this one. 1:38 to play, Lions with the ball and a 41-35 lead.
- Dumars and Ferguson have 25 of WT's 35 points.
- Walker makes something out of nothing to put Lions up 38-33.
- Both teams have 10 rebounds.
- Time out, 3:27. Leones 36, Tejas Oeste 32.
- Lions bench has outscored WT's bench 15-2.
- Time out, 4:29. Lions 34, WT 30. Walker 8 pts.
- Pace slowing down. WT using patience on offense, defensive boards to battle back.
- Carson's three puts Lions up 31-24!
- Time out, 7:23. Lions 25, WT 24. Lions 3-5 3 pts; Buffs 5-9.
- Buffs back to within one point. 25-24. Strong outside shooting helping WT.
- Time out, 9:09. Lions 23, Buffs 18. Ehambe, Wooten and Carnegie all with 5 points.
- Lions lead 23-16 after a steal and layup.
- Brown sinks two at the line and Lions lead 18-13, 11:00.
- Chitwood predicting this game will be very physical before we're all done here today.
- Time out, 11:41 left. A&M-C 14, WT 12. Ehambe 5 points, Wooten 3.
- Carson goes 1-2 at the line. 14-12 Lions, 12:00.
- Ehambe's three puts Lions up 13-12!
- Both teams having trouble turning posessions into points. Still 12-10, WT. 13:09 left in half.
- Lions' D preventing good looks but can't get the defensive board.
- 12-10, WT leading. Both teams getting comfortable; pretty straight-up play from both sides so far.
- Early in the game, Buffs lead A&M-Commerce 10-8. Both of these teams 1-4 in Lone Star Conference play and needing a victory this afternoon.