McGaughey’s Set to Close Doors
The last of Greenville’s locally owned pharmacies is closing. McGaughey’s Medicine Chest, which has been in business for more than a century, is scheduled to close its doors at 1 p.m. Saturday.
H. C. McGaughey and H. S. McGaughey opened the McGaughey Brothers Drug Store in downtown Greenville in 1902.
H. C. McGaughey retired 50 years later and left the company to H. S. McGaughey, who in turn presented it to his son, Herbert McGaughey Jr.
For a time, there were two locations; one at Lee and Stonewall Streets, run by George Sutton, and another along Wesley Street, operated by Fred Mehew.
The two stores returned to one operation in 1991, when they moved to the current location at 3001 Joe Ramsey Boulevard.
Prescriptions at McGaughey’s will be transferred to the CVS Pharmacy at 5010 Wesley Street in Greenville.