Police and Courts
7:05 am
Fri July 6, 2012

Reno Hate Crime Suspect Cleared of Charges

PARIS - Charges have been dropped against Daniel Shawn Martin after prosecutors confirm he was not part of a November hate crime in Lamar County.

The 33-year-old had claimed he wasn’t even at the party during the time of the assault, which occurred on a gay man in Reno.

Lamar County District Attorney Gary Young told the Paris News:

“We had a number of witnesses who came forward to say Martin was not there, and it was confirmed he was not involved,” Young said. “Also the victim confirmed Martin was not the assailant.”

Earlier this year, James Mitchell Laster III pleaded guilty to the assault with deadly weapon and hate crime enhancement and Mickey Smith pleaded no contest to assault with hate crime enhancement. Each is currently serving prison time.

26-year-old Burke Burnett received 30 stitches on his back and forearms inflicted by a broken beer bottle, second-degree burns and severe bruises after being assaulted at a private party.