Fire
6:52 am
Tue October 4, 2011

Residents return home after massive plant fire

WAXAHACHIE - Officials are still investigating how workers mixing chemicals at a Waxahachie chemical plant led to a massive blaze that forced resident evacuations for several hours.

The fire that erupted at around 11 a.m. Monday at a Magnablend Inc. facility was nearly contained as of Tuesday morning. No serious injuries were reported.

Officials say the fire was sparked as workers mixed chemicals but it was not immediately known what chemicals were involved. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says it has not found elevated levels of toxic chemicals in the air due to the fire.

About 1,000 residents were evacuated from the area, including students at a couple of nearby schools.