Sulphur Springs City Hall is 'open for business'
The newly renovated Sulphur Springs City Hall is on the corner of North Davis and Connally streets at 201 N. Davis and is now open.
The city of Sulphur Springs will have a grand opening ceremony for the public on July 15 which will be the 100th anniversary of the first U.S. Post Office’s building dedication in 1914.
Some of the cost has gone to a state-of-the-art courtroom and new offices for city officials.
The city took great care in preserving some pieces while they restored others. They kept the original marble staircase, glass doors, the Post Office stamp vault and the original light fixture on the porch.
As part of the renovations, the city added a modern board room, a corridor with circular windows for displaying local art and a large porch on the south side for a new morning Farmer’s Market.
The cost of City Hall’s renovations was nearly three million dollars.
The expansion constructed to the west of building is approximately 5,000-square feet.
The building was originally constructed as a Post Office, but was more recently used as a public library before a new library was constructed further North on Davis Street.