Most Active Stories
Wed November 2, 2011
Veterans, Families Invited to A&M-Commerce Veterans Vigil
COMMERCE - Texas A&M University-Commerce invites veterans, their families and community members to campus Nov. 2-5 to celebrate the 20th anniversary celebration of the Veteran’s Vigil.
The 2011 Veteran’s Vigil events include:
- Wednesday, Nov. 2: Veterans Benefits and Job Fair-The benefits and job fair will be held from 11:00 a.mto 1:00 p.m.to in the Rayburn Student Center (RSC), and is hosted by Career Services and the Office of Veterans and Military Services. Vendors include:
- Hunt County Veteran Service Office
- Marine Recruiting Station
- Police badges and Para cord
- Texas Army national guard
- Texas Veterans Commission
- U.S. Army Recruiting
- University colleges
- Counseling department
- Student disability office
- Career services
- Comprehensive rehabilitation service
- Bonham VA
- Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA)
- US Navy
- Thursday, Nov. 3: Opening Ceremonies-The reception begins at 11:00 a.m. in the conference rooms of the RSC, and will feature keynote speaker, Dr. Richard O. Proctor, M.D. and student chair Fred Fuentes. Following the brief ceremony, a vigil flame will be lit at 12:30 p.m. on the walking mall outside the RSC.
- Friday, Nov. 4: Campus Activities-A variety of student activities including a military dog demonstration will be held from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. outside the RSC throughout the day.
- Saturday, Nov. 5: Closing Ceremonies-The 2011 Veteran’s Vigil will come to a close at 2:30 p.m. at the RSC with a special performance by Lou Ann Petty, as well as Brad and Briley Davis.
Veteran’s vigil guests are also invited to stay for a 6:00 p.m. football game Nov. 5 featuring the A&M-Commerce Lions and the Eastern New Mexico Greyhounds.
For more information about the 20th annual Veteran’s Vigil, or to volunteer for Vigil guard duty, visit contact Paige Bussell, Veteran’s Vigil chair, at 903-468-3209, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or Jessica Gossett, 903-886-5123, Jessica_gossett@tamu-commerce.edu, Co-chair
About Texas A&M University-Commerce:Founded in 1889, Texas A&M University-Commerce is a member of The Texas A&M University System. Located in Northeast Texas, A&M-Commerce is home to more than 11,000 students, four academic colleges, a thriving graduate school, and more than 100 degree programs. As the region’s focal point of higher education, A&M-Commerce offers students facilities ranging from a world-class science building and new student center, to a fully equipped recreational facility and recently completed music hall. The university also has convenient facilities in Corsicana, Midlothian, Mesquite, and downtown Dallas.
About Veteran’s Vigil:Veteran’s Vigil is a unique program held on the A&M-Commerce campus to honor our men and women who served their country during times of military action. From 1949 until 1991, the Air Force ROTC unit on campus conducted the time-honored ceremony: Veterans’ Vigil. Unfortunately, the unit was lost due to retrenchment by Congress in 1991. The University chose to continue this tradition, and in 1992, established a committee comprised of community leaders, faculty, staff and students charged with continuing this legacy.